Party Appetizers are a big thing in my head. If there is alcohol involved at a party (which almost always is at Casa Escapades unless you came by for breakfast) most people like something to nibble on. In my
rather vast experience, its always a good thing to have an assortment of appetizers and a less elaborate main course. Why do I say this, based on my own preferences and because guests are usually more comfortable if they can walk around or sit with a small plate of nibbles/ short eats and not be tied down by a large plate with heavy food on it while socializing.
This is a dish that can be assembled ahead and left in the frying pan. a few minutes before you want to serve it, on gentle heat, cook covered for 5-6 minutes or till the mushrooms are cooked, cheese has melted and it is ready. I’ll admit that while I rarely stick to the same recipe when I make it over and over again, this one, I have not attempted to change since it already is an established classic.
Stuffed Mushrooms - Caramelized Onion, Spinach and Cheese
Button Mushrooms 12-15, remove the stems, clean with a cloth and set aside
Onion 1 medium, chopped fine
Cheese ½ cup, grated (use paneer for a low fat version)
Spinach Leaves 1 cup, washed and drained and finely chopped
Garlic 1 clove, chopped finely
Salt and Pepper To taste
Oil 2 teaspoons
- In a pan, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil and fry the onions on low heat till they turn brown.
- Add the spinach and cook till it wilts, but is still bright green. Add salt and pepper and leave to cool.
- Add the grated cheese into the cooked spinach and onion mixture and mix well. Stuff this into the hollow part of the mushrooms (where the stems were attached)
- When all the mushrooms have been stuffed, place the mushrooms in the same pan with the remaining oil.
- Heat the pan to medium high and cook the mushrooms for 5-6 minutes with a lid on till the cheese is melted and the mushrooms are cooked. Serve warm or cold