Yes I know that Chocolate and Strawberries are a Valentine’s day cliche…. but they are a cliche for a reason. They taste so bloody good together! So if you want a really quick to put together dessert to celebrate this day of love… or a quick and easy dessert to make ahead when you have guests… or better yet, make it and hoard it in the fridge to indulge at midnight when hunger pangs hit…. whatever the reason, make these bite sized desserts, do make it to spread the love.
Chocolate Strawberry Trifle - (Makes 4 servings)
Chocolate Cake 100 grams (use store bought)
Vanilla Custard Powder 2 tablespoons
Fresh Strawberries 1 cup (hulled and sliced)
Sugar 2 tablespoons
Milk 1 cup
To make the custard
- Heat the milk with the sugar.
- Dissolve the custard powder in ½ cup of chilled water and mix till there are no lumps. Add this gently to the hot milk and sugar and stir continuously and cook till the custard begins to thicken.
- If you remove the spoon from the pan, the mixture should coat the back of the spoon thickly.
- Set aside and cool completely.
- Cut the chocolate cake into ½ inch slices to fit into the serving bowl.
To assemble the trifle
- Layer the bottom of the serving bowl with a slice of cake. Add a couple of tablespoons of custard over it. Layer it with the slices of fresh strawberry.
- Repeat the entire sequence once more. Chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours before serving.