Cheesy as the velvet heart shaped cushion! But when you write for a newspaper, you do things you find personally too mushy as well! So while I made heart centered cupcakes and chocolate cake pops, I ensured there was a savoury treat albeit heart themed!
these are regular potato fries, made the same way as I use for wedges. A few minutes spent using a cookie cutter to cut them into heart shapes make it Valentine Day compliant!
Heart Shaped Baked Potato Fries (Makes 2 cups)
Potatoes – 6 large
Olive Oil – 2-3 tablespoons (you can also use any other vegetable oil)
Salt – I teaspoon
Pepper – to taste (freshly ground)
Red chilli flakes – ½ teaspoon
Special Equipment – heart shaped cookie cutter
- In a large pan, heat 1 liter of water, add the salt and bring to a boil.
- Peel the potatoes, slice them to get large oval slices and cut out hearts using a cookie cutter. (reserve the scraps to use in a curry later)
- Add the heart shaped potato pieces to the boiling water and par boil for 3-4 minutes, drain out the water and cool slightly.
- Toss the potato pieces with the oil and the spices and lay out without overlapping on a baking tray. Bake in an oven at 400 C for 20 minutes or till the edges are nice and golden brown. Dust with a bit of salt if needed, serve hot.
- You can lay them out on a nonstick frying pan and cook on a stove top too till golden drizzling a little oil if you do not have an oven.