Note: If you would like to attend the Escapades Culinary Studio Class on salads this week, send me a message on our FB page.
I love Mediterranean food. As is evident from my attempts to make non deep fried falafels and pita bread from scratch. I also love the freshness of the salads that are served. Simple fresh ingredients, light and summery dressings and a meal or a side is ready in as much time as it takes to chop all the vegetables.
Tabbouleh salad is popular as a side. It uses bulgur wheat. I teach this in my salads class, and it is a very big hit with everyone. I’m sharing it here for the readers of this blog. Use jowar pearls as per this recipe for a gluten free version of this salad. The original uses bulgur wheat which can be substituted with broken wheat rava used for upma etc, cooked millets of any kind such as foxtail or even cooked brown rice.
I like to eat this salad spread on a roti wrap with either a sliced boiled egg or grilled paneer and make it a complete meal.
Tabbouleh Salad with Jowar Pearls (Gluten Free)
Jowar pearls ½ cup, soaked for 4-5 hours, cooked in a pressure cooker with ½ teaspoon salt
Parsley 11/2 cup, leaves tightly packed
Mint ½ cup, leaves only
Cucumber 1 medium, retain the skin, remove seeds and chopped small
Tomatoes 3 medium, chopped
Onion 1 small, finely sliced
Feta Cheese ¼ cup, crumbled (use fresh paneer to substitute)
Pine Nuts 1/4 cup, toasted (use walnuts or almonds to substitute)
For the dressing
Lemon Juice 2-3 tablespoons (adjust according to taste)
Salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
Extra virgin Olive oil 1/3 cup
* Wash all the greens and lay them to drain on absorbent towels.
* Chop the tomatoes into small squares. Remove the seeds from the cucumber and chop to the same size of the tomatoes. Finely chop the onions and set aside.
* Finely shred the greens – parsley, mint
* Whisk all the ingredients for the dressing and do a taste test. Adjust seasonings and set aside.
* In a bowl large enough to toss everything up, add the chopped greens, cucumber, tomato, onion and jowar. Mix well with a large spoon. Pour over the salad dressing and mix everything well. Let stand for at 10 minutes before serving. Top with crumbled feta cheese and toasted pine nuts just before serving.